Recipe by Carrie in Indiana
My friend Jen brought a similar recipe to a work function once and I loved it! Of course, she could not find the recipe she used, but we found this one and it is very close. This is a bit more interesting in texture than your normal breakfast casserole! Active prep. time does not include chill time. Enjoy!!
Top Review by Jen Andrews
Being the Jen she speaks of who brought this reciepe and then lost it...I do remember one major change! My original recipe called or 12 waffles. So, I usually toast 12 waffles and then cut or break them into chuncks. 6 on each layer. It takes away from any runniness at all. I also increase the sausage to 1 1/2 lbs, and add the syrup when cookiing the sausage so that I has that sweet taste! I love it and make it again last night to share with my dd and Carrie in Indiana!
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 6 frozen waffles, toasted and cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup reserved
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- maple syrup (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook sausage until brown, drain off fat.
- Arrange 3 of the waffles in a 2 quart rectangular baking dish.
- Top with half the sausage and about 1/3 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with a fork; stir in milk, mustard and pepper.
- Pour over layers in baking dish.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Bake dish uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, serve with maple syrup.