My friend Jen brought a similar recipe to a work function once and I loved it! Of course, she could not find the recipe she used, but we found this one and it is very close. This is a bit more interesting in texture than your normal breakfast casserole! Active prep. time does not include chill time. Enjoy!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook sausage until brown, drain off fat.
- Arrange 3 of the waffles in a 2 quart rectangular baking dish.
- Top with half the sausage and about 1/3 cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with a fork; stir in milk, mustard and pepper.
- Pour over layers in baking dish.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Bake dish uncovered for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, serve with maple syrup.