If you haven't heard of or made "wacky cake" before, don't let the strange combo of ingredients scare you away. Trust me, it will be one of the most moist and delicious cakes you'll ever have! Unlike traditional wacky cake, this recipe makes a wonderful and refreshing lemon cake rather than a chocolate cake. Personally, I think it's the perfect summer dessert!
Wacky Lemon Cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
7-Minute Lemon Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make cake - sift dry ingredients together in 8 x 8 pan and make 3 holes.
- Pour vinegar in first hole, vegetable oil in second hole, and almond extract in third hole.
- Pour cold lemon juice and water over everything.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly (do not beat).
- Bake in same 8 x 8 pan that ingredients were mixed in for 35 minutes or until center is firm.
- Cool completely.
- Make frosting - combine sugar, water, cream of tartar and salt in saucepan.
- Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- While beating constantly, very slowly add sugar syrup to egg white in mixing bowl.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form (about 7 minutes).
- Beat in extracts.
- Smooth frosting over cooled wacky lemon cake.