Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good cake but especially good if you need an egg and/or dairy free cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 cup water
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients and sift them together in the baking pan.
- Shake the pan to level the ingredients.
- Make 3 holes in the flour mixture with the back of the spoon.
- Pour the vinegar in one hole, vanilla in another, and the salad oil in the remaining one.
- Pour the water over all.
- Using a table fork mix well.
- Make sure you get all the flour out of the corners, etc.
- Mixing will take about 1 1/2 minutes and batter will be almost smooth.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center clean.
- Cool completely, in or out of pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
I made this cake for my son's birthday, and all the guests raved about it!
However, it was definitely better the first day (made fresh for the party) than it was the next day when it developed a bit of a baking soda flavor. Make fresh (it's very simple) and enjoy!
Absolutely amazing cake! I am lactose intolerant and eggs are hit and miss so it was great to find a tasty chocolate cake that doesn't use either ingredient. My husband also loved it even though it was vegan. I did make a simple frosting and think it added a bit of sweetness since this isn't an overly sweet recipe.
Quick, easy and tasty too. I needed something vegan for my FIL and this fit the bill perfectly. I like that it uses pantry staples and can be made in a flash. The cake is moist and isn't overly sweet.