Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
A good cake but especially good if you need an egg and/or dairy free cake.
Top Review by nethope
I made this cake for my son's birthday, and all the guests raved about it!
However, it was definitely better the first day (made fresh for the party) than it was the next day when it developed a bit of a baking soda flavor. Make fresh (it's very simple) and enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 cup water
- powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients and sift them together in the baking pan.
- Shake the pan to level the ingredients.
- Make 3 holes in the flour mixture with the back of the spoon.
- Pour the vinegar in one hole, vanilla in another, and the salad oil in the remaining one.
- Pour the water over all.
- Using a table fork mix well.
- Make sure you get all the flour out of the corners, etc.
- Mixing will take about 1 1/2 minutes and batter will be almost smooth.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center clean.
- Cool completely, in or out of pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.