Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water, cold
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt.
- Make three wells in the flour mixture.
- In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil.
- Pour 1 c cold water over all and stir.
- No need to beat.
- Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (not batter).
This is by far the best homemade chocolate cake. We have used this recipe in my family for years. The best topping that we have for the cake is homemade applesauce. Wonderful comfort food!
I don't know the history of this recipe, but it has been around since I was a child, and continues to be a family favorite. It has a rich chocolate flavor and an unusual heavy, moist texture. For best flavor use real vanilla, not imitation. The best topping I've found is cool whip; but a thin layer of home-made chocolate peanut-butter cream frosting is also very good on this cake. It can be tricky to tell when Wacky cake is done; the best method is to insert a toothpick in the middle, which will come out clean when done. If overdone, the cake edges will be dry. This cake is very quick and easy to prepare, less than 10 minutes. I always double the recipe and bake in a 9X13 pan.
I was craving brownies but had some almond milk I wanted to use up, so I decided on cake instead. I've been meaning to try this recipe for a long time. I'm so glad I finally did. It came out wonderfully. I used 5 tb of cocoa instead of 3 and almond milk instead of water. I screwed up and used baking powder instead of baking soda, but it still rose. I skipped icing or powdered sugar and just served it with ice cream. I will definitely make this again.