Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a dense heavy chocolate cake. It's actually made with Cocoa, no actual chocolate. It takes NO eggs or Milk. It is my whole family's favorite cake. You can serve this cake with or with out frosting, it's that good!!! It's extremely easy to make, and only takes 30 min to bake. I hope you will give it a try.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 --
- In large mixing bowl; Add flour, sugar, soda, salt, & cocoa. Use wire whisk, whisk together well.
- Make 3 wells in the dry mixture, 1 large and 2 small. In large well add oil, then add vinegar in one well, and vanilla in the other.
- Pour cold water over all. Using wire whisk, whisk all ingredients together until mixed well. About 1 or 2 minutes. Don't beat!
- Pour into an ungreased 9 X 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 min., or until tooth pick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Frost cake with desired frosting, or serve unfrosted. Delicious either way. Enjoy!
You can use a stick of margarine instead of the oil and apple cider vinegar if you don't have white.I only use Hershey chocolate..tried others and it doesn't taste as good.
This is the Wacky Cake I remember from about 20 years ago. I'm glad to have found the recipe again! I also made only 1/2 of a cake since it's only me and DH and I'm baking so many things today to finish my commitment for PAC. Just the right amount of sweetning and cocoa! I followed the recipe and the only thing I did differently was that I actually mixed it in the silicone round cake pan. (I remembered that it used to be made right in the pan in the past.) Thanks loriroberts for bringing this treasure back from the past for me. Made for PAC Spring 2012.
I made half the recipe like Mikekey, but baked it in a standard loaf pan and it turned out beautifully. The cake rose very nicely and looked so pretty!
Due to dietary restrictions I made a few substitutions: I used only 2 tbs of sugar, applesauce for the oil and all whole spelt flour. Due to German baking soda being very, very strong I used only 1/2 ts and added 1/2 ts baking powder. Even with all of these substitiutions the cake came out perfectly. It was moist and chocolatey and super yummy.
This is so easy and quick, Ill surely make this often again. Maybe next time Ill add in some chocolate chips and/or nuts. For birthdays you could also frost this cake or make a powdered sugar glaze. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this awesome recipe with us, lori!
Made and reviewed for one of my babies during PAC Spring 2012.