Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I guess it gets the name Wacky because it is a wacky way to make a cake (but easy)! Adapted from Bon Appetit, August 1985.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into an 8" square pan.
- Make three 2" holes in flour mixture with fork.
- Pour warm water and 1 teaspoon vanilla into 1 hole.
- Pour vegetable oil into the second hole.
- Pour vinegar into the third hole.
- Stir through batter until well mixed, 1-2 minutes.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan.
- For the icing, combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, butter, milk, and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder in small saucepan over medium heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir until cool, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla and mix well.
- Spread icing over cake in pan.
- Let cool until set.
This is a really great cake that came out moist. I found it interesting to use the pan to add all the ingredients instead of a bowl, but then again, I didn't have to worry so much about cleaning!
The icing was really easy to make and quite good!