Recipe by ~Naren-lee~
I got this recipe from my weight watchers news letter, The points value is 3.Take these muffins over the top! Frost them with a spread of fat-free cream cheese whipped with a dash of Café Vienna coffee powder and a few drops of vanilla extract.
Top Review by Outta Here
Hard to believe these are "healthy" muffins! Very moist and flavorful, and just the right amount of sweetness. The only changes I made were subbing Splenda for the white sugar (kept the brown) and using pecans instead of walnuts. Made for Winter 2010 Comfort Cafe game.
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free mocha instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons unpacked light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon unpacked brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar-free mocha instant coffee
- 4 teaspoons chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup of oats, cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons of coffee powder, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl; stir well.
- Combine egg substitute, applesauce, oil and milk in a medium bowl; stir well. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and gently mix just to blend; do not beat.
- To make topping, stir together remaining 3 tablespoons of oats, remaining tablespoon of brown sugar, remaining 2 teaspoons of coffee powder and walnuts in a small bowl.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each prepared muffin cup and sprinkle about 1 1/2 teaspoons of topping over each muffin. Bake until muffins spring back when lightly touched and topping is lightly browned, about 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes; turn out onto rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.