The Mad Slovak's Note:
This recipe is from the Williams Sonoma "Soup for Supper" cookbook. I think it is exceptionally good. While lentil soup is usually comfort food, this variation makes it a bit exotic, too. The fragrant Indian spices lighten and brighten the simple, homey flavor of the soup. Red lentils have a tendency to break down into a coarse puree as they cook, so if you prefer some texture, omit the blender or food processor step.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups peeled seeded and diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (to taste)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1Pick over the red lentils and discard any misshapen lentils or stones.
- 2Rinse lentils and drain.
- 3In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 4Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent (8 to 10 minutes).
- 5Add the coriander, cumin, ginger, turmeric, and cayenne and stir to mix well.
- 6Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, to release the flavors of the spices (2 to 3 minutes).
- 7Add the lentils and then gradually add the water or stock, stirring constantly.
- 8Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer until the lentils are very soft (30 to 40 minutes).
- 9Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 10Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- 11Return the soup to a clean saucepan and place over medium heat.
- 12Stir in the tomatoes and lemon juice and cook until heated through.
- 13Season with salt and black pepper.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for W. Sonoma Indian Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 154.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 13.2 g