Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet and hearty soup adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine. Serve with crusty bread.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 butternut squash (peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 bartlett pears (with peel, cored, cubed into 1-inch pieces)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 14 ounces light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium low heat. Add leek and onion. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often, until tender.
- Add squash and pears. Saute 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add salt, and simmer 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut milk. Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan and stir in thyme. Reheat over medium heat 2-3 minutes. Garnish with sumpkin seeds.
Lovely soup. Just used half a can of coconut milk and didn't have leeks. Won't use pumpkin seeds next time as we didn't think they "worked" in this soup. But I'll sure make it again.
Amazingly delicious soup! I love the flavors! I ended up using regular coconut milk as I couldn't find the light version. This recipe makes such a hearty soup for the day before a snow storm. I think the secret ingredient is definitely the coconut. Thanks for posting! Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game 2013!