Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you like a citrus based dressing with rotini pasta, give this one a try. I make this salad for a nice refreshing twist for pasta salad. This is one of our family favorite Southwestern Salads. Enjoy as a side dish or add cooked chicken and make it a meal in one! Served chilled Bueno ;)
- 16 ounces rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salsa, to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole kernel corn (can, Frozen or Fresh)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, rough chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large bowl combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, cayenne, cumin, salt, garlic, dried cilantro and salsa.
- Stir in corn, beans, green pepper, red pepper, tomatoes, olives and 1/2 of the cilantro leaves. Spoon onto a platter and garnish with avocado and remaining cilantro. Serve chilled.
I'm writing this with the caveat that the salad hasn't completely cooled yet... but I absolutely LOVE the flavors. Husband and I are huge fans of anything southwestern anyway (I could feed him tacos every night and he'd be plump and happy). I didn't have the full amount of lime juice, so I used half lemon, half lime, with maybe a half a tsp of lime zest that I had saved. Much sadness that I didn't have an avocado, but the flavors stand for themselves, and I suppose I can do without that extra bit of fat THIS time. I used frozen corn flash cooked in the microwave (water + bowl + 5 mins :P). I might update my review tomorrow based on how much of the sauce is absorbed by the pasta. In the future I might double the citrus/spice sauce, depending on how it stands up overnight! Overall, awesome. Love it.
I substituted parsley and a little basil for the cilantro (instead of going to the store). I came out really good! I'll definitely make this one again!
This salad is awesome. Even my husband, who normally dislikes noodles, gave it a thumbs up. Will make it again. And on the plus-side it is very healthy. Thanks for the recipe.