Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I remember this comfort food as a child. Been making this for ages. My boys recently requested it and when I came to get the recipe from my cookbook on zaar -- I realized I hadn't posted it yet :) This is a spicy flavorful warm you up on a chilly day pie! If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.... just kidding.... cut back on the white pepper and cayenne! One of our family favorites. Mmmmm Good
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or 1/2 tsp oregano & 1/2 tsp thyme)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups frozen sweet corn
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook potatoes in water just like you would for mashed potatoes. (I chop the potatoes small so they cook faster).
- Once potatoes are cooked: cream with a hand mixer, adding 3 Tbl butter (or margarine) add cream, 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese and white pepper and salt. Whip until creamy, cover to keep warm while preparing the rest of the pie.
- In large skillet, add onions, garlic and 3 tbsp butter and saute until translucent and fragrant. Add ground beef and brown until no longer pink, making small crumbles. (Drain off half of the drippings).
- Add flour and onion soup mix. (this makes a roux) Mix well and simmer. Add beef broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning and cayenne pepper and combine thoroughly (will thicken) .
- Add Peas and corn and continue to simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Pour meat and vegetable mixture into casserole dish, 9x 13 casserole or large pie pan, top with mashed potato mixture and carefully spread to cover to edges, sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese. Place on baking sheet (just in case it spills over) in oven. Cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and serve!
- Take in the great raves and Enjoy!
- Don't forget to leave your review ;) I would love to hear how your family enjoyed this dish!
This recipe is wonderful! My husband and I love it-which is good since there are only two of us, and it's alot of food. I made the potatoes with fat-free cream, and used a pound of meat instead of 1 1/2. Very good, and since it's already 22 degrees outside, this is a nice warm meal on a cold, cold night. I'll make it again!
I really didn't care for this recipe at all. Normally, I LOVE shepherd's pie. VERY disappointed. Here's what I think went wrong. The recipe calls for one 2oz pkg of onion soup mix. Onion soup mix comes two 1oz pkg's to a box. I think it should have been only one 1oz pkg. It tasted like PURE onion soup mix. It also did not hold up when I cut into it. It ran everywhere. It was also VERY salty, which may also be due to the extra onion soup mix. Won't be making this one again. sorry
This was really good. I didn't change anything. My husband and 3 kids all enjoyed it. I have never had Shepherds pie before tonight. I'm glad I went with your recipe. I will make it again for sure!