Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This quick pastry is a no-fail recipe made easily with ingredients usually found in most kitchens. Be sure to use cold water and keep dough well-wrapped until ready to use.
Top Review by outragis
There weren't too many pie crust recipes on Recipezaar when I wanted to blind bake a crust for my chocolate banana cream pie, and I stumbled upon this one. Just as Chef~V states, these ingredients were on-hand, and so I thought "why not give it a whirl!". The ingredients formed a dough that was easy to work with, easy to do, and made just the perfect size for my pie plate. Baked up tender and flaky,k just as I had expected. Would make this easily again, and one to bookmark in my Recipezaar cookbook. Thanks Chef~V!
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl; cut in vegetable shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle with water; blend until mixture holds together. Add 1 additional tablespoon water as needed.
- Shape dough into ball; place on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Line pie plate with pastry. Trim around perimeter for a 1-inch overhang to fold under and crimp as desired.
- Note: To make two crusts, double all ingredients, follow procedure above, and divide dough in half.