After trying a variety of roast recipes, I decided that this combination of different recipes worked best for me. You can also add 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms to the onion and carrots if you like a mushroom gravy or some peas too. This just in: 9/8/8 - this recipe just won 2nd place in a Beef Roundup contest sponsored by Country Woman magazine and will be featured in the Feb/March 09 issue.
- Place chopped onion and carrots in bottom of crock pot.
- Season all sides of the roast liberally with the kosher salt and ground pepper.
- Place roast on top of onions and carrots, fat side down.
- Combine mustard, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and red wine in a separate bowl and pour over roast
- Set crock pot to low and cook for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, turn the roast onto one side and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the roast on the next side and cook 20 minutes, repeat until the roast has the fat side on the bottom again.
- Cook for about 2 more hours usually 6 hours total.
- The roast is done when it shreds easily with a fork.