Recipe by Baby Kato
Another family favorite by Umberto Menghi. This recipe also comes from his Seafood Cookbook. You may use cold water instead of the chicken stock but it tastes better if you use the chicken stock. Clams are my personal favorite shellfish, I just love this dish, I find myself craving it..... Hope you will too.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
This recipe had nice flavor and was really easy prepare. The only modification we made was to use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth. It took about 4 times the amount of time stated in the recipe for the broth to be absorbed by the rice in the oven, which was an unexpected delay to the table. However, the end result was tasty. Made for Rookie Tag May 2013.
- 2 lbs clams, fresh, wash and cleaned (reserve clam liquid & shells)
- 1⁄4 cup wine, white, dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, sweet, medium, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups rice, white, long grain
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, good quality
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place clams in a pot with wine and garlic, cover and steam the clams for 5 - 6 minutes (until they open).
- Please, discard any clams that do not open -- they are bad.
- Drain the pot, reserving the liquid and remove the clam meat from the shells. Leave some clams in the shell for garnishing.
- Set the clams aside.
- Strain the clam liquid in a sieve that has been lined with cheese cloth, linen or a muslin cloth and reserve the clam liquid.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute the onion in butter in an ovenproof casserole for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and saffron to the casserole dish and gently stir to coat with butter.
- Next add the chicken stock and clam liquid to the dish and bring to a boil. Stir the rice once, reduce the heat and cover the dish.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and uncover, add the clams and butter to the dish, gently mixing together.
- Re-cover the casserole dish , return to oven and bake for 7 minutes more.
- Remove dish from oven, uncover, sprinkle with the scallions, garnish with the reserved clams in shell and serve immediately.
- A wonderful light meal, served with fruit salad.