Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
I developed this recipe specifically for RSC, intended for the adventurer. One might look at the ingredients and be hesitant, but this isn't one of those recipes you'll make to use up ingredients on hand. This is a recipe you'll run out to get chickpeas (garbanzo beans) for! I PROMISE YOU. I had several people try these, not knowing the ingredients it was made with. None of them had a clue that there were chickpeas in this. They all loved it and two of them wanted seconds (the others were too full!). This is a delicious dessert, that is much healthier! Don't let the instructions scare you. It's really simple!!!! I do hope you enjoy!
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and reserved
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped nicely
- 10 strawberries
- confectioners' sugar, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 cup finely ground pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter 6 individual ramekins lightly.
- Now, you will want to melt your chocolate with the 2 Tablespoons of butter over lower heat, stirring often.
- Set aside to cool a bit.
- In a food processor or in a blender, process chickpeas, egg, milk, yogurt, orange juice, brown sugar and baking powder.
- Then add your melted chocolate mixture after it has cooled a bit, and process until it is completely mixed through.
- in a bowl sift flour and baking powder together.
- Add the flour mixture to the processor and process until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer mixture to a large clean (preferably glass) bowl, and then fold in your chopped pistachios.
- Pour mixture into your prepared 6 ramekins.
- Put into a baking dish and fill with boiling water 1/2 way up the ramekins.
- Bake in your preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on your oven).
- I made them twice, and they took 45 minutes the first time, and 56 minutes the second time, so that tells you that my oven is screwy!
- NOTE: You will notice that these will look like an exploding volcano when u take them out of the oven, but this is perfectly normal.
- You will allow them to cool completely, cover them with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- When they come out of the fridge, they will set back down completely!
- After chilling, you will want to take your strawberries, remove the tops, clean them, and cut thin "sticks" out of the strawberries.
- Toss damp strawberry sticks with desired amount of confectioners' sugar, and set aside.
- Take out your whipping cream, and whip with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon extract until stiff peaks form (to your desired consistency).
- Take out your ramekins, arrange strawberry sticks in a fancy pattern on top, dividing evenly among all 6 ramekins.
- Top with a dollop of your whipped cream, and sprinkle with ground pistachios.
- You may want to make a double batch, because everyone will want seconds!
This was delictable but the size of the ramekins needs to be stated. The addition of chickpeas was a little strange.
It was ok. The flavor was alright--not bad but nothing stellar. Also, maybe it was just the way I prepared it, but the consistency was a bit weird. Worth making, but I probably won't be making it again.
It's a taste explosion in your mouth.