Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This cobbler is a nice size for 2 or 3 servings. I especially like the fact that it is put together and baked in one cast iron skillet. You'll love it! I don't remember where I found this recipe, but sure glad I did!
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 medium peaches, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Heat oven to 400*.
- Prepare filling:
- In 8" cast iron skillet, stir water into cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir in brown sugar and nutmeg.
- Cook over high heat until mixture thickens, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in peaches, lemon juice and butter.
- (I also sometimes add about 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
- Prepare topping:
- Into medium size bowl, sift flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk and egg.
- Spoon topping over peach mixture in skillet. Bake cobbler 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden bown.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.