1/9 Photos of Vol-Au-Vent With Chicken, Mushrooms and Pepper
One of the favorites of my children. It's a really versatile recipe and feel free to adapt it to your ingredients. If you don't get vol-au-vent cases use fillo and the instruction in the note at the end of the directions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 (200 g) vol-au-vent cases
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 400 g chicken thigh fillets, in small cubes
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (thyme, marjoram, rosemary) or 1/2 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 250 g fresh mushrooms or 150 g canned mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons pink pepper (in brine) or 2 teaspoons green peppers (in brine)
- 200 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 100 ml white wine
- 100 ml water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1Preheat the oven at 160°C.
- 2Prepare all your ingredients ready.
- 3Heat in the oven the vol-au-vent about 12 minutes (if you are not ready with the filling after this time reduce the heat).
- 4Fry the onions in the margarine for 2 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat, add the chicken and cook until golden, about 8 minutes.
- 6Add 1dl wine, herbs, mushrooms, preserved pepper and cream.
- 7Combine corn starch with water and the remaining wine, then add to the chicken and stir until the sauce thickens. If it is too thick add some tablespoons of water or wine.
- 8Season it with salt, pepper, soy sauce and Worcestershire at your taste.
- 9Fill into the vol-au-vent cases and serve hot with some vegetables.
- 10Note: sometimes I add some vegetables (not only the mushrooms!) like carrots or peas directly to this dish.
- 11Note: alternative to vol-au-vent cases are fillo baskets. Instructions: Cut fillo sheets into quarters and layer diagonally in greased ramekins, spraying or brushig with olive oil in between layers - 4 squares for each ramekin dish if the sheets are very thin (like fillo for baklava) or 2 squares if they are thicker (like fillo for boureki). Spray or brush again before cooking at 250°F/180°C for in the oven for more or less 8-10 minutes.
- 12Note: For a vegetarian version skip the chicken and use more veggies. For example the double quantity of mushrooms. Chanterelle mushrooms are wonderful for this recipe (see photo).
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vol-Au-Vent With Chicken, Mushrooms and Pepper
Serving Size: 1 (693 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2564.5
- Calories from Fat 1576
- Total Fat 175.1 g
- Saturated Fat 50.0 g
- Cholesterol 139.6 mg
- Sodium 1284.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 188.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 51.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: