Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
Elegant seafood dish from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. This would also make a lovely appetizer dish served in small pastry cases.
- 2 lbs fish (sheepshead or fish of your choice)
- 1⁄4 lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1⁄4 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, broiled
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 1 large patty shell (vol-au-vent shell)
- Simmer first 7 ingredients in water to cover, until fish is tender; drain.
- Cook shallots in butter; add flour and cream gradually, stirring until thickened.
- Add wine and reheat.
- Combine with fish mixture and pour into shell.
- Place in a preheated 450F oven for 3 minutes.