Recipe by PanNan
This is a traditional old-fashioned Dutch recipe. I had this often as a child. I like the crockpot version, but the liquid doesn't cook down as much. To do that I just boil the liquid while I keep the meat warm and prepare a salad or other veggies to go along with it.
Top Review by LAURIE
PanNan...great super supper! I made these on the stove and the smell was enticing! Served with mashed potatoes and buttered corn casserole...BF and I needed to be rolled out of the kitchen. TY for a keeper!
- 2 lbs thin cut round steaks
- 3 -5 slices bacon
- salt and pepper
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 1 bouillon cube (1 tsp bouillon powder)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the steak and cut into 4" squares.
- Salt and pepper each piece.
- Place 1/2 slice bacon and some chopped onion on square of meat.
- Roll up and secure with toothpicks so filling will not come out.
- Roll lightly in flour, brown in oil.
- Place browned"birds" in a heavy skillet.
- Cover with water in which bouillon has been added.
- Cover and simmer until tender- about 2 hours adding more water as it simmers down.
- This makes a delicious jus (non-thickened gravy).
- To adapt for the crockpot, place in crockpot with liquid and bouillon after browning.
- Cover and cook on high one hour and low for at least 4 hours.