Recipe by Alex MacKenzie
A robust vodka sauce over slices of Italian sausage and stuffed tortellinis.
Top Review by 4Graces
I was looking for a great sauce for sausage tortellini. This sounds wonderful, but Good Grief! look at the horrendous amount of sodium in this one dish. I have a Buitoni package of sweet Italian sausage tortellini with only 330 mg of sodium. I will use that and make the sauce. So forget the sausage, exchange half and half for the heavy cream, and trim the recipe down to a healthier size. I will try it and let you know.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb Italian sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
Directions See How It's Made
- In large sauce pan saute garlic & onion in olive oil (aldante!).
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and chilli powder, simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add vodka, salt and pepper to taste, simmer and reduce (aproximately 10 minutes).
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add tortellini (Simmer till done).
- In a skillet, brown slices of sausage. Add to sauce.
- Add cream, parsley, and dill weed to sauce. Reduce heat to low and Cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve over tortellini.