Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Use extreme caution when igniting this dish! This is a special occasion dish because it is so rich in flavor and calories.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup your favorite tomato sauce
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped in small pieces
- 2⁄3 cup grated asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Heat oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots and crushed red pepper.
- Sauté until shallots are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add vodka and carefully ignite with a long match to burn off alcohol.
- Simmer 2 minutes or until flames subside, shaking pan continuously.
- Increase heat to high, add whipping cream, and boil 3 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Add tomato sauce and boil 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
- (sauce can be made a day ahead and chilled).
- Cook rigatoni in salted water until tender, but still firm to bite-do not overcook.
- Before straining, set aside 1/4 cup of the salted cooking water.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add prepared sauce, prosciutto, 1/3 cup asiago cheese, parsley, and basil.
- Toss to mix.
- Add the 1/4 cup reserved cooking water if mixture is too dry.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Sprinkle with remaining asiago cheese and serve.
This recipe was awesome and easy to follow. My kids loved it!