Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An irresistible tomato cream sauce.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large shallot
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) whole tomatoes, drained
- 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (if necessary for thickening)
- chopped fresh basil (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a saucepan saute garlic, shallots and onion in olive oil, about 5 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, crushed red pepper and salt. Stir, breaking up tomatoes and cook on medium to high heat for about 10 minutes. Add heavy cream and vodka; stir. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. If the mixture needs thickening, quickly stir in 1 tablespoon flour; cook until thick. Keep heated until serving.
- Serve over cooked penne, rigatoni or pasta of your choice. Also, great spooned over chicken or pork cutlets. Dust with parmesan cheese.
This was absolutely delicious! It may be too spicy for some people, but you can just use a little less pepper flakes.