- 1 whole chicken, skinned
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions, with some skin on, rinsed
- 1 celery rib
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 cup basil vodka
- 6 basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the first 6 ingredients in a large pot with enough very cold water to cover.
- Slowly bring the pot to the boil over a moderate heat.
- Immediately reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, skimming the fat from the surface four or five times while cooking.
- Add the pepper corns, Basil Vodka and basil leaves and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the broth.
- Add salt to taste then let cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.