Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mother-in-law was a beautiful, southern woman that raised four wonderful children. All of them enjoyed this delicious banana pudding recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (14 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1.5 (12 ounce) boxes vanilla wafers
- 5 -6 bananas, sliced
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, add flour and stir over low heat until smooth.
- Add evaporated milk, milk, and sugar and stir and stir over low to medium heat.
- Add to butter and flour and stir over low to medium heat.
- Add eggs and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Layer bananas and vanilla wafers in a casserole. Pour mixture over.
- Store in refrigerator.
What an old fashioned treat - tastes just as I remember my grandmother's when I was a kid. Shared with my daughter, her husband & my nearly two year old grand twins - everyone loved it. It took a bit longer than 40 minutes to actually get the mixture to thicken, closer to an hour for me, but I'm thinking that I was cooking on a lower heat than you, perhaps. Well worth the wait - thank you lhbishop for posting a reminder of my childhood - prepared for spring, 2013 PAC.