Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from "shelbi bites" at allrecipes.com. You can substitute figs or prunes for the dates, if you prefer them.
Top Review by Buster's friend
I was going to post this after having used shelby's recipe - with the addition of the white wine and increased garlic just like you already did! I kept the bacon at 6 slices though. Totally agree with the smoked paprika & peppers added. Oh thank you Randy for sparing me & changing the recipe just as I have! Will be stashing for making again & again, especially when the weather cools down.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, pounded thin (about 1 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 6 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika, smoked preferred
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- Brown in skillet, about 2 minutes each side.
- Set chicken aside (on a clean plate).
- Add bacon to skillet.
- Sauté until fat begins to render.
- Add onions, red pepper, and garlic and sauté until onions are tender and bacon is browned.
- Add dates, chicken stock, wine, and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet with chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes, or until juices run clear. Serve with Spanish rice or couscous.