Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
No more boring chicken casserole. This is quick and good. A true family favorite! Note that for best results, this dish should be made a day in advance. However, I've made it at the last minute before and it has come out quite good (just a little soupier).
- 4 chicken breast fillets, diced
- 12 corn tortillas, each cut into 4 strips
- 1 (7 ounce) jar green chili salsa
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded miled cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can milk (soup can)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt butter in skillet and cook diced chicken until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Butter/grease 9"x13" baking dish (glass recommended).
- In large mixing bowl, combine soups, milk, salsa and onion. Mix well.
- Coat baking dish with a thin layer of the soup mixture.
- Layer half the tortilla strips on top of the soup mixture.
- Over the tortilla strips, add one layer each of the chicken, soup mixture and cheeses (add more cheese than the indicated 2 cups if you like things cheesier).
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- One-half hour before baking, remove from refrigerator.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until heated through and bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes.