Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from Vegan World Fusion Cuisine; it is one of my favourite to cook for guests, as well as a Sunday brunch for me the boyfriend. The only change I make to the recipe is the addition of a portabella mushroom, you could add whatever you like, though!
- 6 medium green bananas (should make 3 cups mashed)
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 2 cups cashews or 2 cups macadamia nuts or 2 cups pine nuts
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- 5 garlic cloves (medium size, or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup nama shoyu
- Cut the ends off of the green bananas and score up the sides. Place the scored bananas in a 3 qt pot, cover with water, boil until you can easily poke through the bananas, approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the peels, which should come off easily, and place bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mash with a fork or masher. Add flour and baking powder to bananas and knead into a dough. Seperate dough into two pieces. Roll into balls. Flour the counter and roll the balls into 6" rounds.
- Combine cashews, lemon, nama shoyu, garlic and the olive oil in a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth.
- Heat a heavy skillet on medium heat until hot. Pour a small amount of oil onto skillet and fry omelet on one side until golden, approximately 3 minutes. Flip and cover 1/2 of the cooked side with Nut Cheeze, green onion, carrots and cilantro. Fold over like and omelet and cover. Flip and cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve Hot.