Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Wheat germ is high in various B vitamins such as folate, niacin, thiamin, and vitamin B6 as well as calcium, fiber, vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids. These burgers are quick to make and taste great! I serve mine on regular burger buns with guacamole & melted cheddar on top and pickled pepper rings & jalepeño bbq sauce beneath... So good :)
- 2 chicken breasts (about a lb or lb & a half)
- 59.14 ml wheat germ (or more if you'd like)
- 4.92-9.85 ml vegetable oil (or oil of your choice)
- 4.92 ml minced fresh garlic
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml chili powder (the kind you make chili with)
- salt and pepper (about 1/4 tsp each)
- Process chicken in a food processor. You could use pre-ground if you have it on hand, but I bought some cheap quality breasts and wanted to get rid of them --
- Add all spices and wheat germ. You could process to avoid manhandling the chicken, but my food processor is a small one so I mix in a separate bowl with my hands.
- Form mixture into 4 baseball-size balls, then flatten evenly. Burgers tend to rise in the middle, so it's important to flatten them evenly, or even a bit more in the centres.
- At this point you can bbq the burgers on an oiled grill or, as I do, broil in a gas broiler on tinfoil (to help with clean up).
- Spritz burgers with oil and broil or grill for 7 minutes. The tops (or bottoms on a grill) will be a nice golden brown.
- Flip burgers, spritz again and broil or grill for about 5 more minutes.
- Top with cheese and let burgers sit off the heat source for a few minutes. The cheese will melt and the burgers will retain their juices.
- Top with guacamole or sliced tomato (or both if you like your burger kinda sloppy!).
This wonderful recipe was so easy to make and the seasoning was perfect. Its a bonus that it was packed with good things for you. My DW kept telling me that she does not like chicken or turkey burgers. She changed her mind the first bite. Looking forward to making them on our next cookout. Thanks Dominique353 for your recipe