Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional Russian recipe that has a multi-day process to it. Kvass is considered the tsar of thirst quenchers in Russia - low-alcohol, beer like drink full of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that stimulates the circulation and keeps the intestines healthy.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs cherries, pitted
- 5 teaspoons brewer's yeast
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar or 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons raisins
- Cook the cherries in 4 1/2 qts water for about 1 hour and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Strain the juice, add the yeast and sugar, leave to ferment for 24 hours.
- Pour into bottles, add the raisins equally and seal tightly. Let the kvass chill and rest for 4 days before use.