Cook2 hrs 30 mins
My husband and I went to Leyte in Southern Philippines to get away from the beaten tourist path. We had a wonderful meal at Alejandro's Hotel and we had Humba for the first time. It was very good, we fell in love with it right away.
- 2 lbs pork butt, cubed (combination of lean meat and fat)
- 3 cups of sweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons soybean paste
- 1 cup of ground peanuts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- In a large pot or casserole, sautee garlic and onion, add the pork cubes and brown on all sides. Brown in batches if necessary.
- Return the brown pork pieces to the pot, add pineapple juice, soy sauce,vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt & pepper,sugar & bay leaf.
- Cook and simmer for 1- 2 hours over medium heat or until the pork is tender. Keep adding liquids (water, stock or pineapple juice) if necessary.
- Add in soybean paste and ground nuts and cook until sauce thickens.
- Serve hot.