Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This make ahead recipe is a favorite comfort food that came from my MIL who was an exceptionally good cook and loved to be surrounded by her family. She liked to "wow" us. I think she had gotten this from a Superior, Wisconsin newspaper. It freezes well and is inexpensive, but time consuming to make. For the two of us, I freeze this in small aluminum foil bread pans and double the biscuit aspect of the recipe. Sometimes I have frozen it without the biscuit dough on top and then made it later with Quick Mix for biscuits and that works well, too. It does have an added bonus of chicken broth for other recipes.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs stewing chicken
- black pepper
- 3 cups fat free sodium free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder, sodium free
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- Wash chicken; pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken, broth, celery, onion, and carrot in a 4 quart dutch oven; cover and bring to boil.
- After it boils, reduce heat.
- Simmer covered for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Reserve vegetables and 1 1/2 cups of the broth. (Remaining broth may be saved and used in your next pot of soup.).
- When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; cut meat into bite sized pieces; set aside the chicken chunks.
- For sauce: melt the 1/3 cup of butter in large saucepan; stir in 1/3 cup of flour and poultry seasoning until smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and gradually stir in milk and the reserved 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in reserved chicken and vegetables.
- Place hot chicken mixture into a 2 quart casserole or divide up between small bread pans-if you divide this between more containers you should double the biscuit aspect of this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- For biscuits: Combine flour, cheese, baking powder, and salt in medium sized bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Drop biscuit dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto chicken mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden.
- Serve immediately, or freeze covered with aluminum foil and labeled.
- If you freeze, defrost in the refrigerator and reheat with foil on.
DH and I enjoyed this! Made as directed -- a little time intensive for a casserole -- but well worth it! We will be enjoying this again! Thanks for a great recipe!