Recipe by - Carla -
This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks: "Fabulous Fat Free Cooking" by Lynn Fischer. I thought, since most people bring in the New Year with the resolution of healthy eating, exercise and weightloss, I would help by posting a few of my favorite fat-free recipes. This soup has 0.9 grams of fat per 1 cup serving and 113 calories.
Top Review by IronChefArtemslore
Soup in all of its many forms is my favorite food. This soup really satisfied my soup needs. I would not say it was bland, but none of the other flavors overpowered the broccoli. Which in my opinion is the way a good broccoli soup should be. I substituted skim milk for the creamer and two slices of American cheese for the cheddar, as that is what I had on hand. I also decided to mix the whole pot in the blender, inside of adding the flour. The soup was rich and creamy.
- 2 lbs broccoli
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup fat-free liquid creamer
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Take one bunch of the broccoli and cut the florets away from the stalks; cut the florets into slivers lengthwise and set aside.
- Finely chop the stalks and remaining broccoli; place in a medium non-stick saucepan.
- Add the vegetable broth, onions, shredded carrots and garlic.
- Cover and cook, stirring often for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the reserved broccoli florets.
- Cook, stirring, 2 to 4 minutes, or until the florets are bright green.
- Whisk in the milk and creamer.
- Bring to a near boil over medium heat.
- Hold a large fine sieve over the saucepan; add the flour to the sieve and shake into the soup, whisk to incorporate.
- Cook over low heat, stirring often for 3 to 5 miutes, or until the soup becomes thick.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve each bowl with a tablespoon of shredded fat-free cheddar on top.