6 hrs 25 mins
Lauren H's Note:
Georgians and Virginians both claim that this stew originated in their respective town of Brunswick and Brunswick County. I may be a born and raised Virginia girl, but I'm offering this classic recipe for all of you to try. I've adapted it from vol. 2 of my Gourmet Slow-Cooker - you can throw it all in a crock pot, or follow my second step of browning for added flavor. Serve with a lighter red wine, like Tempranillo, Pinot Noir, or even a Cabernet Franc, and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb chicken, boneless and skinless (breast or thighs)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (6 ounce) pork chops
- 1 yellow onion, sliced to your preference (I use thin slices, but thick or diced could work as well)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (can add more to get the "kick" you want)
- 16 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) package corn kernels, thawed (can also use fresh)
- 1Combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a Ziploc bag; add the chicken pieces and shake until coated evenly.
- 2Add the vegetable oil to a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides, then add chicken and (not browned) pork chops to the crock pot.
- 3Sauté the chopped onion in the oil and meat drippings until browned. Add to slow cooker.
- 4Combine tomatoes, Worcestershire, and Tabasco; pour over meat.
- 5Add the chicken stock/water to the crock pot.
- 6Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until the chicken is tender.
- 7Add the lima beans and corn; continue cooking for another 1-2 hours until the vegetables are tender.
- 8Remove chicken and pork from the crock pot; shred meat with two forks and return to stew.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Virginia's Best Brunswick Stew
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.8
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 110.9 mg
- Sodium 1115.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 40.8 g