Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from Virginia Willis cookbook, Bon Appetit, Y'all. You can also visit her website at www.virginiawillis.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400. Place butter in 10 1/2-inch cast-iron skillet and heat in oven 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Remove skillet from the oven and pour melted butter into the flour mixture. Add buttermilk and eggs and stir to combine. Pour batter back into prepared skillet and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the bread is golden, about 20 minutes.
- Just before cornbread is done, remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. transfer to a rack to cool slightly before serving.
Very good! Would be extra good with some chopped jalapenos, or chives. To fit my small iron skillet, I made 3/4 recipe, but with only one egg. Tagged for Summer Photo Tag due August 14th.
What can I say other that excellent cornbread. It's straight out simple and tastes great. I made a half batch to go along with some chili for lunch and now wish that I had made the full recipe!