Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an old Southern side dish. It's very yummy. I like to add a little butter and sprinkle it with a bit of sugar.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Mix salt with cornmeal, cut in shortening.
- Slowly pour boiling water into mixture, stirring as you pour.
- Beat the eggs with the milk, stir into cornmeal mixture.
- Add baking powder and blend all ingredients well.
- Grease a casserole dish generously and pour in the mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, stirring 2-3 times before the mixture congeals Serve hot from the casserole with a spoon.
Being from South Carolina, I can appreciate good spoon bread! Thanks for the recipe, it was fantastic!
I've been searching for a spoon bread recipe- my GM used to make it years ago, & my Bro requested it. This was right on the mark. However, I found that the stirring should be done early in the bake time, maybe only once. That keeps the texture smoother & prettier. Other than that, this was a trip down memory lane for us... Thanks!
This was perfect!!! Did not need any sugar, just a few pats of butter to melt on the surface. Yum!! Very moist and easy(had to cook 10 min longer in "my" oven). Thanks for a great recipe!!!