Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Brown sugar gives this candy it's distinctive flavor
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pecans
- In a heavy 4 quart saucepan, combine milk, butter corn syrup and sugars.
- Place over medium heat and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil.
- If sugar crystals are present put a lid on saucepan for 2 minutes.
- Clip on candy thermometer.
- Cook to 234F or soft-ball stage.
- Cool to luke warm.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens.
- Add nuts and continue stirring until candy loses its gloss.
- Scrape out onto plastic wrap.
- Pat into a loaf shape about 9x3 inches.
- Slice and serve, or wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for several weeks.