Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Summer Saturdays in Virginia are filled with the smell of this chicken. It is the chicken that all the churches, boy scouts and other organizations fix for fund raisers. It is one of our favorite ways to grill chicken legs or halves. It works really well to grill the chicken and then eat later cold too. Great for a picnic!
- 1 cup oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- chicken piece
- Mix all ingredients, except chicken. (I've found a hand blender helps keep it from separating as much.)
- Use a small amount to marinade about 5-10 chicken halves or 12-20 drumsticks for a couple hours or over night.
- Grill over very medium coals until pieces test done, basting often.
- It works best if you use a grilling pit and allow it to slow cook for a couple hours.
Excellent recipe! I used a gas grill, cooked the chicken using the indirect method for about 1.5 hours. Turned out crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.
Delicious! Made this with white wine vinegar and marinated my chicken pieces for 8 hours. It smelled amazing and tasted even better! Love the fact that it is made from common ingredients that I always have on hand. Thank you for sharing Marg!
This was easy to make and turned out juicy with a nice crispy crust. I thought the seasonings were a bit on the bland side, was looking for a more "in your face" flavor. I'm from the midwest so my idea of BBQ is a bit skewed.