Recipe by ellie_
This pretty sorbet which I haven't made yet, uses both violets and lavender from the garden is posted per recipe request for ways of using lavender. Recipe source is Edible Flowers, Desserts and Drinks reprinted in the local newspaper. Prep time includes standing time and steeping time. Cook time is stove-top cooking time (divided among tasks). Time does not include time to freeze in ice-cream maker or freezer.
Top Review by Rita~
I must say this can be alot easier if all of you have a vita mix! This was fabulous! I put the all the ingredients except the lime juice into the vita mix on high for 1 minute. Boy did I get scared it was gray not eye appealing at all. Till I added the lime juice. This came out a pretty purple. At this point I had prepared it before dinner so let it sit till we we`re done eating. So it was cooled off to room temp. then added 2 trays of ice cubes and 1 minute later we had Sorbet. No simmering no straining creamy smooth. Oh wait! I didn`t have enough violets so I used dark purple petunias they went in whole too. Ellie you have to try this. It`s so good.Even my husband liked it. This would be great for a bridal shower!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lavender flowers (if unavailable use 2 Tablespoons dried lavender)
- 1⁄2 cup violets (if unavailable use purple pansies)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour one cup of water into a saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar.
- Bring to a boil, let simmer for 4 minutes, swirling pan occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Put the chopping blade in your food processer.
- Add lavender and 1/4 cup sugar and process for 3 minutes, or until flowers and sugar are blended and in tiny pieces.
- Add lavender mixture to mixture in saucepan and combine well.
- Let mixture stand for at least one hour at room temperature.
- Strain mixture and set aside.
- In a nonmetatlic saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add violets.
- Steep violets in water for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain mixture through cheesecloth and then squeeze cheesecloth to release blue color.
- Blend lavender syrup with the violet water.
- Add lime juice to mixture.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker.