Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I first served this salad at a dinner party way back in 1979. It's elegant enough for a dinner party and it goes together quickly. The dressing can be made ahead as well as the salad. Add the walnuts and grated Gruyere cheese just before serving, toss with dressing and serve. Originally from an April 1979 Bon Appetit magazine.
- 2 heads bibb lettuce
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves or 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Wash greens, dry thoroughly and chill.
- Combine with walnuts and Gruyere in large salad bowl.
- Thoroughly blend remaining ingredients in a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Just before serving, pour over salad and toss gently.