1/2 Photos of Vintage Fresh Mushroom Soup
This is my favorite light soup to start a guest dinner. It came from the 1975 edition of The American Heart Association Cookbook and varies significantly from the 1998 fifth edition version I posted as Fresh Mushroom Soup "Fresh Mushroom Soup". I use a lot of mushrooms, and prefer to see my mushroom slices as opposed to blending everything.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice caps and stems of mushrooms in thick pieces.
- 2Heat oil in a heavy saucepan and saute the mushrooms quickly until just crisp tender.
- 3Combine all other ingredients in blender and mix until thick and foamy.
- 4Add mushrooms to blender and, using lowest speed, blend for 4 to 5 seconds or until mushrooms are chopped into fine pieces but not pulverized. (I generally skip this step, preferring identifiable mushroom slices.).
- 5Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat slowly, stirring with a wire whisk to keep from burning. Use an asbestos pad if soup is to be left on the stove.
- 6Sprinkle thinly sliced rings from the green part of green onions on top of each bowl of soup.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vintage Fresh Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.5
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 265.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 20.4 g