Recipe by French Tart
A delectable and spicy sandwich that uses vintage Farmhouse Cheddar cheese alongside spicy aubergine slices and mango chutney. I make this with granary bread for an extra dimension. This is another wonderful recipe from the West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers website, who promote hand-made cheeses from Farmhouses in the West Country of England. www.farmhousecheesemakers.co.uk (Prep time includes cooking the aubergine slices.)
- 50 g softened butter
- 250 g vintage cheddar cheese, sliced
- 2 medium aubergines, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 pinch cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 8 slices of thick cut granary bread
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a griddle pan or heavy frying pan.
- Lay the aubergines on a baking tray and sprinkle with the cumin, chilli, paprika, salt and pepper, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Transfer the aubergine into the griddle pan and grill on both sides for 2 – 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Transfer back into the baking tray and leave to cool.
- Butter the bread and spread 4 slices with the mango chutney.
- Layer the cheese, onion, aubergine and rocket leaves onto the slice with the mango chutney and place a buttered slice on top.
- Cut in half and serve with extra salad leaves.