Vintage Betty Crocker Split Pea Soup
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat peas and water to boiling; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Add ham shank, onion, celery, parsley and pepper; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots; cover and simmer until carrots are done and soup is of desired consistency, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bone; trim meat from bone and add meat to soup.
- For a thinner consistency, stir milk or water into soup.
- Season to taste.