Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious baked apples in a spiced vintage port sauce! Replace the port with apple cider if you don't want the booze, but the alcohol bakes out anyway. Serve warm or chilled, plain or with cream: warm with vanilla ice cream is my favorite!!! :)
- 6 baking apples (such as Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Pippin, or Rome Beauty)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup port wine
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon, about 3 inches
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cream or vanilla ice cream, optional to serve
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Core apples and pare down about 1/4 way from stem. Place apples in a baking dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over apples.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until apples are tender. Baste occasionally with sauce in bottom of baking dish.
- Serve warm or chilled, plain or with cream: warm with vanilla ice cream is my favorite!