1 hr 5 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
It took me 5 years to develop this recipe. This is an excellent vegetarian salad but does take some time to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 3 large red beets, scrubbed and cooked,reserve 1 cup of liquid
- 3/4 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated (about 6 inches long)
- 1 cup dill pickle, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 2 large red apples, peeled,cored and cubed 1/2 inch
- 2 cups canned sauerkraut (with wine)
- 12 fluid ounces canned red kidney beans, drained
- 1Cook beets in 4 cups of water either in a large saucepan or in a pressure cooker; cook until just tender.
- 2Reserve 1 cup of liquid to use later and discard the remainder.
- 3Immediately immerse beets in cold water, then peel off skins and discard.
- 4When beets are cooled, slice the beets into 1/4 inch thick slices; then cut again into 1/4 inch strips; then cut into about 1 inch lengths.
- 5In a microwave proof dish, add 1 tablespoon water and frozen petite peas.
- 6Cover and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 2 minutes.
- 7Stir and continue to microwave covered on HIGH (full power) for an additional 2 minutes.
- 8Drain peas and immediately add about 6 ice cubes and cover with cold water, set aside and let cool.
- 9Drain peas well before using.
- 10In a large mixing bowl, add sliced beets, grated carrots, dill pickles, onions, celery, apples, sauerkraut, red kidney beans, petite peas and gently mix together.
- 12In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, reserved beet juice and horseradish; stir well to blend.
- 13Adjust dressing mixture to taste.
- 14Pour dressing over prepared vegetables and gently fold together to coat.
- 15Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 16Serve on individual side plates and spoon some of the dressing over.
- 17Salad will keep very well for at least 10 days when covered and refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vinigret Salad (beet Vegetable Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.3
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 461.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: