Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It took me 5 years to develop this recipe. This is an excellent vegetarian salad but does take some time to make.
- 4 cups water
- 3 large red beets, scrubbed and cooked,reserve 1 cup of liquid
- 3⁄4 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated (about 6 inches long)
- 1 cup dill pickle, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 2 large red apples, peeled,cored and cubed 1/2 inch
- 2 cups canned sauerkraut (with wine)
- 12 fluid ounces canned red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup beet juice, reserved
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Cook beets in 4 cups of water either in a large saucepan or in a pressure cooker; cook until just tender.
- Reserve 1 cup of liquid to use later and discard the remainder.
- Immediately immerse beets in cold water, then peel off skins and discard.
- When beets are cooled, slice the beets into 1/4 inch thick slices; then cut again into 1/4 inch strips; then cut into about 1 inch lengths.
- In a microwave proof dish, add 1 tablespoon water and frozen petite peas.
- Cover and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 2 minutes.
- Stir and continue to microwave covered on HIGH (full power) for an additional 2 minutes.
- Drain peas and immediately add about 6 ice cubes and cover with cold water, set aside and let cool.
- Drain peas well before using.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sliced beets, grated carrots, dill pickles, onions, celery, apples, sauerkraut, red kidney beans, petite peas and gently mix together.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, reserved beet juice and horseradish; stir well to blend.
- Adjust dressing mixture to taste.
- Pour dressing over prepared vegetables and gently fold together to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve on individual side plates and spoon some of the dressing over.
- Salad will keep very well for at least 10 days when covered and refrigerated.