Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 egg whites (for the meringue)
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- Place egg yolks in top of double boiler; add sugar and salt. Gradually add boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Add vinegar and cornstarch dissolved in cold water.
- Cook over boiling water until thick and smooth, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon extract. Stir until filling is smooth and blended, scraping sides of pan.
- Pour hot filling into pie shell.
- Top lukewarm filling with meringue, spreading to edges and sealing to crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.
This was a very sweet, nearly lemon meringue pie that we both enjoyed. The vinegar taste mellowed into the mildest of tastes and provided the acidity of lemons. We found that the filling needed to be quite cold to be set and that the meringue topping could have used another egg white to provide a really nice cover for the top of the pie.