Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
from MEL TILLIS
- 3 cups flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 pinch sugar (optional)
- Beat egg and add vinegar, water, and salt.
- In separate bowl, cut shortening into flour with pastry blender.
- (Mel prefers to use his fingers).
- Combine flour mixture with liquid mixture, form into a ball of dough, and chill in fridge.
- Roll out two pie crusts (bottom and top crust) on floured board.
- Fill pie crust as desired (we used a canned apple pie filling).
- Mel likes to baste some milk on the top crust and sprinkle it with a bit of sugar.
- Cooking time will vary depending on your filling.