Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A tasty alternative to creamy cole slaws.
- 4 -5 cups cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into super thin half-rings
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, passed through garlic press
- 1 -2 tablespoon spicy mustard
- crushed red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- Mix cabbage and salt together and place in a colander weighted on top with a heavy plate - refrigerate 1-4 hours to remove excess water.
- In a small sauce pan combine oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, mustard, and peppers - heat over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved - allow to cool.
- Mix cabbage, carrots, onion, and dressing together in a large bowl - refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
I love vinegar slaws. Never been a fan of mayo. This is perfect, and you can adjust the spice with jalapenos if you like it with a kick. Thanks.
Fantastic. I have been looking for a vingar based cole slaw recipe for awhile to use on a Primanti Brothers sandwhich and this was IT !!