Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Adjust the cayenne to control how hot you want this. You may also add in chopped fresh jalapeno. I usually serve over rice or polenta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender or food processor, add 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, mustard, cayenne, turmeric, and vinegar; process until mixture is smooth; set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the onion and carrot, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer the onion and carrot to a 4-quart slow cooker on LOW heat setting.
- Add in the spice paste, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the next 4 ingredients; stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tomato paste and water; add to the slow cooker along with salt and pepper to taste; cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Add in the peas; cook for 10 more minutes to allow them to heat; serve.