Top Review by anme
This made a very tasty soup! I never really made a soup with its own stock completly from scratch before so this was a learning experience! The next time I make this I may add a bit moe spice or hot sauce, something to kick it up a bit more. But over all this was a very good soup considering this was my first time making one totally from scratch!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 stalks celery (with tops)
- 3 carrots
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- corn tortilla strips, deep fried
- shredded cheese
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- avocado, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot (5+ quart), lightly sear chicken pieces (w/ skin) in olive oil, 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Salt and pepper lightly.
- Add diced onion, celery and carrots.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- After first 5 minutes of boiling skim off foam and excess oil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In medium sauce pan, combine tomatoes, garlic, cumin, oregano, thyme, coriander and jalapenos.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool while chicken cooks.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool.
- Remove celery, onion and carrots from stock and add to tomato mixture.
- Puree vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Add puree to chicken stock.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Simmer covered for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- Shred chicken and add to bottom of soup bowls.
- Add soup and top with condiments.